Admission is by interview with the Principal. We also take into account documentation and references from the student’s current school where appropriate. This page summarises the BISL Admissions Process.
- An Initial Meeting is arranged for everyone to ask questions, meet the teachers, take a tour of the facility and get to know each other, in order to assess whether the Student is likely to succeed at BISL. The family usually then leaves to discuss whether they wish to proceed.
- To help with this decision process, we encourage families to take advantage of an offer of a taster day, when the student will join the school for a full day.
- The Principal will send a follow-up email requesting a decision. Since places are limited and demand is high, families are advised to act promptly to avoid disappointment.
- The family submits the Application Form to the Principal.
- The Principal examines the Application Form and may contact the Student's current and/or previous school(s) for additional information if appropriate. The Admissions Criteria are considered:
- Is the student serious about his/her future and enthusiastic about joining our school? Are they likely to fit in and work well with our methods?
- Is the student's English good enough, or likely to become so with help?
- For the Infant School, there is no language requirement, but it is a help if the parents have some English in order to reinforce the work done in school.
- For entry into the the Junior School, some basic English skills are helpful but not essential.
- For entry into the Lower School, some fluency in English is required.
- For entry into the Middle School, a 4 or 5 in English in the Slovenian 8th or 9th Grade, or a Cambridge First Certificate pass is an appropriate standard.
- For entry into the Upper School, (I)GCSE English First Language or Cambridge Advanced Certificate (or equivalent) is the appropriate level.
- Is the family supportive and positive generally?
- Are there any other reasons why the student is likely not to succeed at BISL?
- Is the student's current school positive about the student's attitude, behaviour and aptitude?
- If the Principal is satisfied that the Admissions Criteria are met, an Offer Letter offering a place will be sent to the Parents (which may specify certain special conditions), together with an Acceptance Form, an Invoice for the Application Fee, the returnable Enrolment Deposit and the Alumni Lifetime Membership. In addition to these documents, a Joining Pack of documents is sent electronically, which includes the Terms and Conditions (for academic year 2016-17), the Equal Opportunities Policy, the Schedule of Fees and the Constitution (in English and Slovene). Parents state that they agree to these documents when they sign the Acceptance Form.
- The parents print and send two signed copies of the Acceptance Form to the Pricipal, and pay the initial invoice.
- The Principal will return one countersigned copy of the Acceptance Form, the original invoice and signed original copy of the Offer Letter. The Student's place is now formally reserved.