Positions currently vacant
Thank you for your interest. All vacancies for the academic year 2012-13 have now been filled.
The normal working conditions for full-time teachers include:
- approximately 25 x 45-minute periods of contact time per week;
- extra-curricular activities;
- lunch and recreation time supervision duties;
- coordination, preparation, assessment, reporting and meetings with colleagues and parents;
- continuing professional development (CPD/INSET);
- assistance with the Secondary Section Adventure Weekends programme.
Attendance for up to ten days outside term time per year will be required for planning and development, in-service training, reporting and evaluation.
What kind of people are we looking for?
Finding the right people is our top priority.
- In a young school, everyone should expect to offer assistance where it is needed, roll their sleeves up and get stuck in, without necessarily being asked. If you require a detailed job specification, this is probably not the right job for you.
- Our people are characterised by attributes such as: qualified, experienced, positive, adaptable, dedicated, enthusiastic, highly capable, considerate, supportive, team players, highly motivated to help young people strive for excellence. We look for evidence of these attributes in applications for employment and when taking up references.
- All staff are expected to subscribe without reservation to our Constitution (Mission, Vision and Values Statements) and the "Caring for Each Other" Policy. We are passionate about our school's ethos and positive atmosphere and need people who share this vision and want to live and breathe the Mission Statement.
- All teaching staff must be either native English speakers or be totally bilingual.
- An ESL qualification and/or experience in an international school environment would confer a considerable advantage.
- Some knowledge of an additional language (ideally Slovene) is desirable.
- Staff should preferably have a driving licence valid for driving a minibus (EU category D1).
- Staff should be familiar with the concepts of holistic education, multiple intelligences (also here), modalities and left/right brain as well as the work of Howard Gardner and Jim Collins and perhaps the Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan's "calm, assertive energy" as it may interestingly apply to working with children.
- Primary staff with IPC experience are at a considerable advantage in the recruitment process. Secondary staff should have experience of the CIE and/or UK national system.
To sum up: Positive, energetic people, passionate about challenging and helping young people to succeed, who are serious about their personal and professional development and are keen to share best practice with others.
Staff selected for employment should be ready to arrive in Ljubljana by early August. Term starts on 22 August 2012with 3 days at the end of the previous week devoted to planning.
We require a recent police/criminal record check prior to signing the contract (e.g. UK Enhanced CRB Check) and will also request the equivalent document from the Slovenian Ministry of Justice.
If you are interested in joining the team
Our rigorous recruitment process typically includes the following components, intended to assure the right fit of potential candidates into our close-knit team:
- A full Curriculum Vitae which has no unexplained employment gaps
- Online research including a look at Facebook profile, Google search, website of current school, etc.
- Initial interview by Skype (preferably with webcam) including ascertaining period of notice required at current position
- Taking up two formal references (usually by email, including asking if there is any reason why the applicant should not work with young people - with a follow-up phone call where appropriate)
- Verifying general "To whom it may concern" references
- Checking any gaps in the CV
- A check of identity, date of birth and nationality (normally sight of orignal and taking a scan of the passport)
- A check of academic credentials and teaching qualifications
- Second round face-to-face day in school, including meeting with some of our staff, parents and students. Candidates will not be required to teach a demonstration lesson, but may be invited to participate in a lesson and immerse themselves generally in the relevant part of the school so we can evaluate the quality of interaction with colleagues and children.
- A police records check will be required (e.g. UK CRB Enhanced Disclosure). Previous offences will not automatically lead to disqualification, but will be the subject of a frank discussion and the Headmaster reserves the absolute right to ascertain whether the offence would compromise the candidate's suitability. Any appointment is considered conditional, subject to satisfactory criminal record check outcomes.
Full time staff
We have a flat salary structure in which all teaching staff (and the Headmaster) are paid €2,756 gross. There are tax allowances for dependents (about €1,650 net per month for people with no dependents, plus the most generous tax-free travel and lunch allowances permitted for each working day). Salaries are paid on the first working day of the month in arrears and reviewed annually in January.In addition to the salary:
- Prior to arrival (for those coming from outside Slovenia):
- assistance with finding accommodation;
- assistance with preparation of paperwork for official permits etc.
- On arrival in Slovenia:
- orientation and finalisation of registration paperwork (official fees paid), opening a bank account etc.;
- allocation of mobile phone (remains school property) and internet 3G dongle.
- tax-free daily travel allowance (per working day, according to distance travelled);
- tax-free daily lunch allowance (currently €6 per working day);
- contributions entitle public healthcare and state pension scheme;
- annual holiday bonus (about €1000 gross) - part payable in early January and part at the end of June;
- €20 monthly mobile phone allowance (calls and subscription);
- on request, broadband (3G) mobile internet access (subscription and unlimited data);
- end-of-contract bonus pro rata (1 week's net salary paid gross per full year served)