The Middle School curriculum is designed to include a balance of up to ten examination subjects, with IGCSE examinations at the end of Year 10 (one or two subjects) and 11 (the remainder). The syllabus for each subject is available on CIE's website, www.cie.org.uk as follows:
- Englishas a 2nd Language or as a 1st Language as appropriate (5 periods per week)
- English Literature
- Media Studies (GCSE certified by AQA, taken at the end of Year 10)
- Mathematics (4 periods per week)
- Art or Music
Additional non-examined subjects:
- PE (Physical Education)(2 x 90-minute sessions per week)
- Citizenship (1 x 45-minute session per week)
- Slovene (with separate sets for native and non-native speakers)
Most subjects consist of two or three examination papers. Music and Art also include coursework.
All Middle School subjects are blocked for three 45-minute lessons per week, other than where shown above.
For an exemplar summary of the curriculum content, please click:
The Middle School curriculum is being reviewed during the 2013-14 academic year to consider whether we should introduce a greater element of choice and fewer subjects for the academic year 2014-15.